Sunday, July 11, 2010

Low Carb BBQ Sauce

I keep to a pretty strict low carbohydrate diet. I don't have diabetes but I have always been overweight and my number one downfall has been pasta and breads. I could have and have lived off of those two items. So I decided to remove them from my diet (and it's worked great). The biggest problem I have had is BBQs. I can't ever find a BBQ sauce that I can use. They are loaded with sugar!

Finally, I stumbled upon one. Oh it's delicious!

Servings: 10
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 20-30 Min
Total Time: 30-40 Min

Ingredients

Liquid Smoke
1 Small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 12oz can diet cola
1/4 C low carb sugar (or 1 Tbs vinegar and sweetener to taste)
3 Tbs mustard
1 Tbs Worcestershire
1/2 C water

Cook the onion and the garlic in some butter in a medium fry pan (you can also prepare the sauce in a sauce pan if you'd prefer) until it is soft. Add everything EXCEPT the liquid smoke to the onion and garlic. Mix well. Bring to a simmer (most likely the absolute lowest setting on your stove for this). Cover and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Towards the end, add about 2-3 tsp of liquid smoke (as according to taste). Once done, put it in a tupperware and place it in the fridge for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment